Krishnanagar /ˌkrɪʃnəˈnʌɡər/ (sometimes Krishnagar) is a city and administrative/district headquarters of Nadia district in the Indian state of West Bengal. Krishnanagar is situated on the southern banks of the Jalangi river. She is claimed to be named after Krishna Chandra Ray (1728 – 1782). Another claim is, the city is named after Lord Krishna worshiped by Raja Krishna Chandra Ray. Previously, the city (village) was called ‘Reui’ (রেউই). The Rajbari built here during the reign of zaminder Krishna Chandra Ray is a prominent place of tourist attraction though the remnants of the past glory have been eroded and only a dilapidated structure of the exquisite places with carving on its inner walls exists today.